Интернет газета

ЗАХОДИТЕ, ПОКУПАЙТЕ, ПРОДАВАЙТЕ
Домены
Текущее время: 29 мар 2024, 04:05

Часовой пояс: UTC + 3 часа

Автор Сообщение
 Заголовок сообщения: So he called two running plays even though throwing
СообщениеДобавлено: 22 янв 2020, 10:05 

Indianapolis Colts center Deyshawn Bond remembers camping out inside a cramped hotel room late last summer Peyton Manning Jersey White , reveling in the sound of silence.For the undrafted rookie who attended high school on Indy's east side before heading to Cincinnati, cutdown weekend seemed like the perfect antithesis of draft weekend.In the spring, every college prospect dreams of picking up the phone and hearing an NFL team on the other end. But if that call comes in the first 72 hours following the preseason finale, everyone knows it's probably time to turn in a playbook and find another job.So Bond spent those first 24 hours waiting it out alone before accepting a dinner invite from his mother across town."I didn't really come out of my room that first day. Didn't get the call," Bond said. "So my mom had ended up telling me she wanted to have dinner for me and I went over and she surprised me with a lot of family. So it was an exciting time in my life."It seems just about everyone who's played in the NFL has some semblance of the same story.Hall of Fame coach Tony Dungy often started decision weekend by talking about when he sat inside a room with Pittsburgh Steelers greats Joe Greene, Mel Blount, Terry Bradshaw and Franco Harris when the knock on the door came. Dungy took a quick look around the room and instantly realized none of the four future Hall of Famers were about to be cut.But this weekend, all around the league, the stories bubble up again.Bond and a few teammates have already recounted their tales to a group of wide-eyed rookies, still hopeful of landing their dream job and some of whom envision extending the Colts' streak of consecutive seasons with an undrafted rookie on the opening day roster.Last year, Bond and punter Rodrigo Sanchez helped keep the streak alive. Now, a whole new batch of rookies will try to make it 20 consecutive years albeit on a roster with significantly fewer openings."I've heard, a couple times Womens Andrew Luck Jersey ," said linebacker Skai Moore, the South Carolina product who started turning heads in rookie minicamp. "What's it been, like 19 seasons an undrafted rookie made the team? Yeah, I've heard that a couple times. I hope I can (make it 20)."Moore seems like the best bet.He's been starting at middle linebacker while Anthony Walker recovers from an injured groin. But Moore isn't the only potential prospect on the roster.Cornerback Henre' Toliver has steadily moved ahead of several other undrafted rookies on the depth chart and now may have to fend off Lenzy Pipkins, whom Indy acquired in a trade with Green Bay earlier this week.Receiver Steve Ishmael is fourth on the team in receptions while safety George Odum has one of the Colts' two interceptions. Kicker Mike Badgley is 5 for 5 on field goals, including a 51-yarder he made in the fourth quarter of Saturday's win over San Francisco.Each has one more chance to impress the coaches at Cincinnati on Thursday.The biggest longshot might be Badgley, who finds himself behind one of the most reliable kickers in NFL history. Adam Vinatieri enters the season needing seven field goals to become the league's career leader and 58 points to pass Morten Andersen as the league's career scoring leader.Badgley has done nothing to hurt himself and may actually have done enough to find a spot on another team. Besides, he has Vinatieri's stamp of approval."He's wise beyond his years and we have had a lot of good conversations," Vinatieri said. "He's a really strong-minded kid and obviously very, very talented as well. So here, there, anywhere, he's going to be successful."The reality of the salary cap is teams need productivity out of capable Malik Hooker Jersey , less costly players such as Moore and Bond.Bond did his part in 2017, replacing the injured Ryan Kelly as Indy's starting center for the first four games — until he was carted off the field at Seattle with a season-ending torn quadriceps.There have been plenty of examples of other undrafted rookies playing big roles for the Colts. Center Jeff Saturday signed with Indy after selling electrical supplies in North Carolina and went on to form the longest-playing center-quarterback duo with Peyton Manning in league history.Dominic Rhodes rushed for 1,104 yards as a rookie in 2001 after replacing the injured Edgerrin James. Five years later, Rhodes had a vital part in Indy's Super Bowl title-winning run.Pro Bowl tight end Jack Doyle wound up making the Tennessee Titans as an undrafted rookie before the Colts claimed him off waivers in 2013.And Bond's advice to Moore, or anyone else feeling the angst this weekend is simple: Keep the head up and the phone might not ring."I wouldn't say you should be nervous about it. I would say just stay positive," he said. "This is not just an interview with the team you're playing with at the time, it's an interview for every team in the league. So keep a positive mindset and go out and perform at your best." Matt Nagy played scared and lost. Frank Reich played it safe and his kicker made him look smart.The Chicago Bears lost 17-16 to the Los Angeles Chargers on Sunday because Eddy Pineiro missed a 41-yard field goal after Nagy had quarterback Mitchell Trubisky take a knee on first-and-10 from the 21 with 43 seconds remaining.The Indianapolis Colts beat the Denver Broncos 15-13 on Adam Vinatieri's 51-yard field goal after Reich called two runs to set up a long field goal.Both coaching philosophies were conservative, but the results were different because of execution.Trubisky had just scrambled 11 yards and the Bears had one timeout left. There was plenty of time to run a couple more plays to move the ball closer for Pineiro, who already had a miss when he hit the right upright on a 33-yard try earlier in the game.David Montgomery had run for 135 yards and seemed like the best option to get more yards to make it a shorter kick.But Nagy was worried about a turnover."I have zero thought of running the ball and taking the chance of fumbling the football," Nagy said. "They know you're running the football, so you lose 3, 4 yards, so that wasn't even in our process as coaches to think about that."We were in field goal range before the scramble Peyton Manning Jersey , and then we got the scramble, so that didn't even cross my mind."Nagy was blistered on social media for his decision. He should know he can't take any kick for granted given the way Chicago's season ended last year. The Bears lost 16-15 to the Eagles in the playoffs when Cody Parkey's 43-yard field goal in the closing seconds was tipped at the line of scrimmage and doinked off an upright and the crossbar.Yet Nagy was defiant when questioned about his play calling."Throw the football right then and there? What happens if you take a sack or there's a fumble?" he said. "I'll just be brutally clear. Zero thought of throwing the football. Zero thought of running the football. You understand me? That's exactly what it was. It's as simple as that."Nagy displayed no confidence in his offensive line, quarterback and running back at a critical time in the game and put all his faith in a rookie kicker.It backfired.At least Reich trusted a guy who is the most clutch player to ever play his position in NFL history.The Colts trailed Denver 13-12 and faced a second-and-11 from the Broncos 35 with 1:13 remaining after quarterback Jacoby Brissett was stopped for a 1-yard loss on first down. Reich wasn't content to kick from there, but didn't want to risk a big loss. So he called two running plays even though throwing the ball may have seemed like a better option to gain more yards.Marlon Mack only gained 2 yards on two carries, but Vinatieri drilled the game-winner after missing a 45-yard try earlier and the tying extra point. He also kicked a 55-yarder at the end of the first half."We didn't have any timeouts left so I didn't want to take a chance of a penalty or a sack and get out of field goal range," Reich said, explaining why he chose to run instead of pass. "I knew we were inside of 55 yards. I knew that was money for Adam. I had all the confidence in the world that he was going to make that. Even after we missed the extra point, he came running off and I said: 'Hey. Don't worry about it. You're going to win it for us.'"It was not tough for me to have that confidence. I didn't want to be too aggressive there. ... We had a shot to win it, and that's all we wanted there at the end."It worked.AP Sports Writers Jay Cohen in Chicago and Michael Marot in Indianapolis contributed to this report.

Часовой пояс: UTC + 3 часа