Интернет газета

ЗАХОДИТЕ, ПОКУПАЙТЕ, ПРОДАВАЙТЕ
Домены
Текущее время: 29 мар 2024, 02:27

Часовой пояс: UTC + 3 часа

Автор Сообщение
 Заголовок сообщения: Eric Staal was coming off his least
СообщениеДобавлено: 28 май 2019, 05:25 

ST. PAUL Sam Gagner Jersey , Minn. (AP) Eric Staal was coming off his least productive NHL season since he was a teenage rookie with Carolina when Minnesota took a flier on him two summers ago to add some depth at center.The three-year contract was modest for a player with Staal’s ability and accomplishments. The expectations were, too. Three consecutive seasons of decline in points per game, after all, don’t provide a hint that the scoring touch or passing knack is primed for resurgence.Bruce Boudreau could see the rebound potential, though. His first day of training camp with the Wild happened to be Staal’s practice debut with his new club, and a strong impression was made on the new head coach.”I said, `You know what? Everybody was wrong,”’ Boudreau said. ”Because he did the skate test on the very first day, and he blew everybody out of the water. So I said to the staff, `He should be able to play for us.”’Staal has done much more for the Wild than simply prove he can keep up and stabilize a key position with some savviness and leadership. Nobody on the team has scored more since he arrived, and with 40 goals this season he’s tied for sixth in the league through Monday’s games.”I never thought a specific number was a goal. I don’t ever usually think like that,” Staal said. ”Once you start a season, it can go a lot of different ways, but once the puck starts hitting the back of the net and you’re gaining confidence that way, you want to hold on to it as long as you can and accumulate as much as you can to help your team win.”Staal became just the second player in NHL history, joining Gordie Howe Womens Devante Smith-Pelly Jersey , to record a 40-goal season at least nine years apart with none in between. Slumps can factor into that, but so does dedication.”Look, he’s won a Stanley Cup. He’s won an Olympic medal. He’s got all the money that he’s ever going to need,” Boudreau said. ”But when he came here he wanted to prove to the world that he’s still a really good player, and to me he has.”The lanky 33-year-old with the left-handed shot has been a big reason why the Wild, despite some rough patches of the schedule and significant injury absences by several of their best skaters, have clinched a spot in the playoffs for the sixth straight season.”You want that, especially as a player who’s in the second half of his career. You want to make sure you’re in a spot to try to win again, and coming here I felt gave me that chance,” said Staal, the second overall pick in the 2003 draft who won the Stanley Cup in 2006 at age 21 but only returned to the playoffs once more with the Hurricanes. ”We’ve still got some work to do here, but hopefully we can finish strong.”Staal only has one goal-less stretch on his ledger longer than four games in a row, when he played six consecutive contests without scoring from Jan. 9-22. He still contributed four assists over that span. Not coincidentally, the Wild have only one losing streak larger than two. They dropped three in a row from Nov. 4-8.”He’s a guy we’ve definitely looked to to help lead us,” said left wing Jason Zucker, one of the many linemates Staal has saddled up to this season – without http://www.officialcanucks.com/authentic-adidas-sven-baertschi-jersey , Boudreau said beamingly, a single complaint.Durability has been one crucial component of his value, of course. Staal has yet to miss a game since signing the $10.5 million deal on July 1, 2016. The emotional steadiness he has contributed can’t be overlooked, either.”He’s been through the best of teams. He’s been through the worst of teams. He’s been the leader on all of these teams,” Boudreau said. ”He’s had to make sure he’s the steady one, because if he gets too high, maybe the rest of the group gets too high. If he was one to get too low, maybe everybody else would follow his lead.”The Wild actually left Staal exposed in the expansion draft, banking on his age being less attractive to the Vegas Golden Knights. His salary cap hit is only the ninth-highest on the roster.”If he was playing in Toronto, he’d be up for the MVP,” Boudreau said.Settling in Minnesota was more than satisfying for Staal, with the perennial postseason opportunities and the relative proximity to his hometown of Thunder Bay, Manitoba, about a six-hour drive away. He and his wife, Tanya Alex Tuch Jersey Kids , have been able to raise sons Parker, Levi and Finley, in a similar northern culture and climate that he was raised in, delighting in seeing the boys at 8, 6 and 3 years old take to the local hockey rinks or eagerly hop on their sleds after the latest snowfall.”All that stuff I grew up doing and loving, and now I’m kind of living it back through them,” Staal said. ”It’s definitely made it a ton of fun.”— COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Columbus coach John Tortorella didn’t want to talk much hockey after the Blue Jackets‘ wild New Year’s Eve win over the Ottawa Senators.Tortorella’s mind was on Nick Foligno’s 5-year-old daughter, Milana, who was born with a congenital heart defect and earlier Monday had a scheduled surgery in Boston.Foligno, the Blue Jackets captain, was with his little girl but chatted with Tortorella by phone after the team scored five goals in the final period to secure its sixth win in the last seven games.“He wanted to talk hockey and there was no hockey talk with me,” Tortorella said. “If that doesn’t put things into perspective — we’re worried about a damn power play, scoring a goal, and the Folignos are going through that. This young girl has gone through a lot already in her life. Let’s be careful here with what’s important.”Good advice from Tortorella, who had plenty of players step up in the captain’s absence.Zach Werenski broke a tie late in the game with the second of his two goals and Sergei Bobrovsky had 22 saves for the Blue Jackets http://www.officialknightsproshop.com/authentic-adidas-brad-hunt-jersey , who are back within two points of Washington in the Metropolitan Division.Werenski tipped in a pass from Cam Atkinson with 2:01 left to snap a 3-3 tie after Ottawa had charged back with a pair of unanswered goals.“No one took me going to the net, and Cam made a great pass right on my tape, and it found its way in,” Werenski said. “So it’s easy when you play with guys like that.”Atkinson and Josh Anderson got empty-net goals in the final minute to turn it into a rout for surging Columbus.Pierre-Luc Dubois had a career-high two goals and two assists. Atkinson a goal and a pair of assists, and Artemi Panarin added two assists.Ryan Dzingel had two goals for Ottawa, a team going in the opposite direction. The Senators lost their fifth in a row and are mired in last place in the Atlantic Division and Eastern Conference.Rookie Marcus Hogberg — who made his first career start Saturday against Washington — didn’t play badly, finishing with 32 saves.After a scoreless first period, Ottawa got on the board at 8:15 of the second. Chris Tierney found Dzingel just to the right of the net , and the Ohio State product caught Bobrovsky leaning away for an easy goal, his 14th of the season.Werenski tied the game 80 seconds later with a one-timer from the bottom of the right circle off a cross-ice pass from Panarin.Dubois got his 15th goal of the season when he put back a rebound off the right post four minutes into the third period to break a 1-1 tie, and then he got credit for a lucky one off Cody Ceci’s skate later in the period.The Senators got a fortunate goal of their own that bounced in off Columbus defender David Savard, with Bobby Ryan getting credit. Dzingel scored again three minutes later to tie it again, setting up Werenski’s game-winner.“We were down 3-1 and come back, had some really good life and enthusiasm there and got nothing out of it,” Ottawa coach Guy Boucher said. “So it’s a tough one to swallow because I thought we deserved at least one point on this one.”NOTES: Columbus’ five goals in the final 20 minutes matched a franchise record for most in a period. … F Anthony Duclair moved to Foligno’s spot on the second line and Lukas Sedlak was back in the lineup after being scratched the past five games. … Columbus is the only NHL team with four defensemen with at least 13 points. … Werenski has six points in the last five games.UP NEXT:Ottawa: Hosts Vancouver on Wednesday.Columbus: At Carolina on Friday.

Часовой пояс: UTC + 3 часа